- 4 chickens, 1.1 kg each, quartered
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and finely puréed
- ¼ cup dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- ½ cup pitted Spanish green olives
- ½ cup capers with a bit of juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup Italian parsley or fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Heat oven to 180 C degrees.
In a large bowl, combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice and bay leaves. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over. Sprinkle chicken with brown sugar and pour white wine over.
Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest, yield clear yellow (rather than pink) juice.
Transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a platter. Moisten with pan juices and sprinkle with parsley.