The flavours of eggplant and olives complement each other quite well and work very nicely in this dish. To serve 4:
- 2 medium-sized oval eggplants
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon salted capers, minced
- 120 grams pitted black olives
- 1 bunch parsley
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 ounces crust-free bread (50 g or about a cup), crumbled and soaked in a few drops of milk
- 1/2 cup thick tomato sauce or canned tomato pulp, and a finely sliced plum tomato, if it’s in season.
- A pinch of oregano
- Pepper to taste
Halve the eggplants, score them diagonally, salt them, and let them sit for an hour.
Preheat the oven to 180 C degrees
Meanwhile, wash and pat dry the eggplant halves and put them in an oven-proof dish.
Blend the garlic, capers, parsley, olives, anchovies, and bread until they become a fairly smooth paste.
Spread the paste over eggplant halves, then sprinkle them with the tomato, and garnish them with the tomato slices.
Season with pepper and the oregano to taste and bake until done, about an hour.